Friday, March 6, 2020

Week 9 Story: The Teen Who Thought Himself Wiser Than His Mother

The Teen Who Thought Himself Wiser Than His Mother

There once was a young teenage boy who had just recently received his driver's license. The boy had spent many years where his mother had to chauffeur him around. But now he was free! He thought now that he was free he could get wherever he wanted to go much quicker. He would drive faster, take shortcuts, and roll through stop signs. Thinking about the extra ten minutes of sleep he would get made him happy.

However, before the first day he was driving himself to school his mother said, "Now son, just because you can drive does not mean you can do whatever you want. Abide by the laws of the road, they are there for a reason. Be mindful of others - remember they have families too."

"I will mother!" said the son, although he thought differently.

So that morning the teenage boy got into his car and sped off. He was getting close to school when he came upon a slow car. He tried to change lanes and then bang! He had smashed into a car that was in his blindspot. He span out of control. The man in the other car was an older, wise man.

He got out of his car and said, "Son, this morning you have made a mistake. I forgive you. I was once young and restless like you. Now go home to your mother and listen to what she has to say."

The police came and the insurance information was exchanged. Then the young boy went home to his mother.

She said, "Son, why did you not listen to my advice?"

"Mother, I wanted to prove that I could do anything."

His mother replied, "Sometimes we must be patient and respectful of others. I trust that you will learn from this mistake."

From that point on the young teenage boy listened to his mother (at least most of the time).

*Author's Note: This story is based off the "Lion Who Thought Himself Wiser Than His Mother". In that story, the mother tells the young lion to be weary of man (especially those with pinching weapons.) However, the young lion thought he would be fine - he was not. He ended up getting beat to near death by the man and his dogs. However, the man spared him so he could, "...be taught by his mother." In my story, I related it to a mother and her teenage boy. I struggled to come up with something similar. But I decided that teenagers can often be reckless drivers, thus that is what the mother was teaching this boy. Also, I added the dialogue after the boy misbehaved which is different than the original. 

Bibliography. "Lion Who Thought Himself Wiser Than His Mother" from South African Folktales by James Honey (1910). Web Source.

(Two Car Wreck: Photo from Flickr)



4 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan!

    This was a fun change to the story! Of course a teenage boy wouldn't fully heed his mother's advice! This story is very relatable and I think it could be an actual occurrence in many parents' lives, haha. I am always impressed by how you can switch up the story. I have a difficult time applying stories to different settings and changing up characters. Great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan!
    I really like your twist of the story and made it relevant to this time of day! I know many people that need to read it honestly! haha. You have a true talent for being able to come up with this stories! I can't wait to read your next story! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan! Great story! I think this story becomes relatable to most people at some point in their life. I have had many moments where I wished I listened or think back to my teenage years and see how little I really knew and how much I thought I did. Keep up with the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ryan! I love reading stories which parallel the original text, but bring the themes into the modern day. You did a great job with that. Being excited to drive on your own after first getting your license is something that everybody can relate to, so this story definitely brought back some memories. Ultimately, it does pay to listen to our parents now and again, as they have been doing this a lot longer than we have and have probably learned at least a few things along the way!

    ReplyDelete