Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Reading Notes, Part A: Week 7 - The Master

The Master 

This story is from the Monkey King Unit. I really enjoyed this story because of the dialogue between Sun Wu Kung (Monkey King) and the Master. I especially enjoyed how the Master said that there were 360 ways to learn the "great truth." The Master goes through many of these and after each one Sun Wu Kung always asks, "Can one gain eternal life by means of them?" and the answer is always, "No."

I have always been fond of writing styles that had a repetitive theme and I think this is because repetition really drives home a point sometime. In this case the point was that Sun Wu Kung wanted to know how to gain eternal life. Eventually the dialogue ends and the Master gives Sun Wu Kung three blows to the head. He then interprets this as meaning he should go see the Master during the third watch of the night. So he proceeds and then the Master gives him a clue to how to find eternal life.

If I were to re-write this story I am not exactly sure of the direction I would take. But I do know I would include repetitive dialogue no matter what other creative liberties I may choose to take.

Bibliography. "The Ape Sun Wu Kung" from The Chinese Fairytale Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens. Web Source. 

(Monkey King: Image by Wahyu Priyono from Pixabay)

No comments:

Post a Comment