Monday, January 20, 2020

Feedback Strategies

Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job!" 

This article was very interesting. I had never considered the fact that saying, "Good job!", in certain situations could actually be manipulative. But after reading the article I understand how this can be the case. I also think it is important to not create "praise junkies" by evaluating and praising everything a child does. They should be able to learn to feel as if they have accomplished something, without having to seek the approval of others. I think I mostly agreed with the articles reasons for not saying, "Good job!". However, I am not sure I completely agreed with their alternatives/solutions.

While I don't disagree with the solutions of: say nothing, say what you saw, and talk less, ask more. I do still think there is room for praise in a child's life. I do however think it should be honest praise. If a child does something very well, they deserve praise. I guess, if you would give a random person praise for this task/job/art you should also give your child the same praise.

(Strategy: Image by Megan Rexazin from Pixabay)


Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise? 

I feel like this something many managers fall accustomed to, at least it is something I have notice throughout my work experience. Managers are often quick to tell you that you did something wrong when a mistake is made. But they rarely, if ever give you praise for something you did very well. I feel like I have been given a lot of negative feedback in individual time with a manager. However, any praise is normally given to a group of employees as a whole. And even this is just a simple "Good job" or "Well done". I like how the article talks about needing to be more specific when giving praise to employees. This will help the employee appreciate the manager and understand that he/she wants them to succeed. Rather than thinking, "my manager is out to get me", a good balance of positive and negative feedback can create a mindset of, "my manager wants what is best for me."


No comments:

Post a Comment