Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Microfiction: Phaethon insists on driving the chariot

Phaethon insists on driving the chariot: Dribbles 

Why does he doubt me? Why does he underestimate my power? Should I not be able to wield the power of the almighty Phoebus - aren't I his son? Regardless, I shall not let his doubts impede my ride. I will master my father's chariot and prove my worth.

Phaethon insists on driving the chariot: Twitterature 

My son, why will he not humble himself? He is no match for my chariot. Nevertheless, I made him a promise and I will not go back on my word. 

(Phaethon and Chariot: Image from Wikimedia)


Author's Note: I decided to write about this story because I thought it would be interesting to write short and sweet stories about it from the perspectives of both Phaethon (dribble) and Phoebus (twitterature). For context Phaethon is unsure if Jupiter is really his father so in order for Jupiter to "prove" this to him, Jupiter says Phaethon can have whatever he wants. Thus Phaethon requested to drive his father's chariot, which meant sure death.  

Bibliography. "Phaethon insists on driving the chariot" from Ovid's Metamorphoses translated by Tony Kline (2000). Web Source

4 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan,

    I really like your microfictions here! Relating the same story in two different lengths from different perspectives was a great idea. It definitely helps to establish more of the overall story than one short story could alone. I tried my hand at writing some microfictions, and I will say that getting the broad themes of an entire story across in such a short format was difficult. But, from what I remember of the story of Phaethon, you relate the feelings and themes of the story really well in such few words!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan! I like these microfictions! You related the same story from the two different sides, and I really like you leaning into the father-son dynamic. I thought that the tension between Phaethon and Phoebus was the core of the story, that Phaethon was like the angsty teen who wanted to prove himself, and Phoebus was the parent just trying to look out for their kid. You were able to condense that theme down into these limited formats, which is great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ryan,

    I would like to start off by saying that I enjoyed reading your microfictions. I like how you were able to write the story from two opposing perspectives. I also like how you choose to write a short story. In my opinion that does not give the reader the ability to pull away from the story because it is short and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ryan!

    I haven't seen microfictions told from different perspectives and I really enjoyed it. I tell stories from different perspectives in my storybook project, so I am a fan of this style. I think it provides readers with the full picture of the story. One storyteller could have seen and felt things totally different from another. This is shown through these stories as Phoebus desired safety for his son while Phaethon wanted to prove his might and worth. Great job!

    ReplyDelete