Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Reading Notes, Part B: Week 5 - David

David 

I found this story interesting because I am quite familiar with the biblical tellings of David's life and of course his affair with Bathsheba/murder of Uriah. I thought the whole thing in this story about David designing armor and such was interesting. From what I know about David it is reasonable to think that he would be skilled in something like this. We already know from the Bible that he was artistic - he could play the lyre and obviously he wrote many psalms.

The Bathsheba aspect of the story was definitely different than anything I've ever read/heard. In this story, David knows the day and hour in which he is to be tempted - and he is confident that he will not fall into temptation. However, after a series of events involving a beautiful pigeon, he sees Bathsheba and sleeps with her and then basically kills Uriah. Then David interacts with some angels and a prophet - he eventually goes to Uriah's tomb and asks for forgiveness. In this story, David receives forgiveness from Uriah. Uriah's tomb said, "I forgive thee, O King, because for one wife torn from me on earth, Allah has given me a thousand in Heaven." I found this quote quite interesting.

If I were to rewrite this story this week, I think I would change all the human characters into horses. I don't exactly know why, but it is easy for me to picture this story with horses.

(Bathsheba: Artemisia Gentileschi)




Bibliography. "David" From Folk-lore of the Holy Land: Moslem, Christian and Jewish by J.E. Hanauer. Web Source. 

No comments:

Post a Comment