Saturday, January 18, 2020

Topic Research: Robin Hood

Investigating a Robin Hood - Indiana Jones Mash-up 

My goal for  this blog post is to try to find three traditional stories that I think I could adapt to fit my storybook in some fashion.

#1: Little John 

I've always appreciated Little John in the stories of Robin Hood, maybe it's because of his ironic name or the fact he is tall (like me). But I would love to include a story about him and Robin meeting for the first time in my storybook. I do not think I would write it as a ballad, so that would definitely be different than the original story. I think they would maybe meet in similar fashion, but I could write the story from the perspective of Little John. Also, to integrate my Indiana Jones theme I would have Little John tell Robin Hood about some type of ancient relic (I am still brainstorming what this will be) that Prince John and his men are searching for. Little John would kind of play the role of a more-skilled Marcus Brody.

#2: The Bishop of Hereford 

I find the interaction between Robin Hood and The Bishop of Hereford in this story fascinating. Robin dressing up like a shepherd to trick the Bishop reminds me of Indiana blending in as a Nazi by changing his outfit. If I were to use this story for my storybook I would want their interactions to be quite similar to the traditional story. However, the reward would be different than 300 pounds. Instead, it would be a clue or a map that would help them to this ancient relic, which has yet to be decided. 

#3: The Golden Arrow 

This story is too golden not to leave out of my storybook. I love a good competition, as does Robin Hood, he could not resist! In my version of this story Robin would win the Golden Arrow, and the Golden Arrow would end up being a key to open the gates of some place to find the ancient relic (can't figure out if this is National Treasure or Indiana Jones haha). At some point in the storybook I also want to integrate Maid Marian. I mean her name is so close to Indiana Jones' love interest in Raider's of the Lost Ark: Marion. I am sure all of this will start to make more sense in my head, once I outline the storybook and begin to write it.




No comments:

Post a Comment