Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Week 2: Topic Brainstorm

Topic #1: Robin Hood 

I have always been fascinated by the story of Robin Hood. The Disney animated version was one of my favorite movies as a small child. I think it would be neat to adapt this story into a different setting, whether it be more modern or at a different point of history than originally told. I would also enjoy telling the stories through the eyes of his friends and foes such as: Little John, Maid Marian, and Prince John. Another idea I had is that I could do some sort of Robin Hood and Indiana Jones mash up, where Robin Hood is stealing artifacts from the Germans in order to preserve them. But instead of a whip he has a bow.

Topic #2:  Biblical Animals 

This topic could definitely be interesting. I could do a set of different stories from the perspective of animals in the Bible such as: Noah's Ark, Egyptian Plagues, and Daniel in the lion's den. Or I could do a set of stories that relate to one singular Bible story in particular. If I were to do this it would probably be from the perspective of the donkey when Jesus entered Jerusalem shortly before the Last Supper. Or from the perspective of the whale in Jonah and the whale. There are so many different options and ways in which this project could be completed with this topic, which makes it very intriguing.

Topic #3: Homer's Odyssey 

I have always been intrigued by Homer's Odyssey. The stories of Odysseus and his men are all so fascinating. I always particularly enjoyed the stories when they enter the Land of the Cyclops. I think if I were to choose this topic I would want to adapt it to where instead of at sea - Odysseus and his men are traveling through Space or Time. This would be a fun adaptation where they would arrive on other planets and face similar challenges to the original stories. Or they would travel through time and face challenges in periods such as the Jurassic period, Medieval Age, Revolutionary War, Present Day (2020), and maybe even the future.

Topic #4: Aesop's Fables  

When reading and writing about the Anthology, I chose to adapt some of Aesop's Fables (see: Ryan's Fables). I thought it was a lot of fun and there are so many stories in which to choose, which makes this topic especially intriguing. I think if I were to choose this topic I would want to tell it from the perspective of a grandfather sitting in a rocking chair with his grandchildren. I would take the original stories and make them either relate to the grandfather's life/childhood or make them so outlandish that it appears that grandpa is "off his rocker". This could be very fun to write and after each "fable" I could even get a grandchild's perspective of the fable.

(Brainstorm: Image by Andy Mangold)


No comments:

Post a Comment