Sunday, January 5, 2020

Week 2 Reading Overview

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: _Ovid's Metamorphoses__

Week 4: _Jewish Fairy Tales__

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: _Folklore of the Holy Land________

Week 6: _Georgian________

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. 

Week 7: _The Monkey King____

Week 9: __South Africa_______

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: _Cherokee________ 

Week 11: _Marriage Tales________

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: _Robin Hood________ 

Week 13: _Welsh (Emerson)________

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: _Ashliman_______ 

Week 15: _Hans Christian Andersen______ 

I picked these units for a variety of reasons. Some of them I picked because I know people from these cultures, but do not know much about their culture and ancestors (i.e. Welsh and Cherokee). Others I picked because I know nothing about these tales because I have never really heard of them or definitely have not read any of them (i.e. Georgian, South Africa, The Monkey King, and Marriage Tales). Some I picked because I have read a lot about them in the past but not in a long time and not these particular versions of the stories (i.e. Ovid's Metamorphoses and Robin Hood). Others I picked because I have read stories that are similar or the same but not from this particular perspective (i.e. Jewish Fairytales and Folklore of the Holy Land). Still others I picked because I have visited the places where the authors are from or the stories are based (i.e. Hans Christian Andersen (Copenhagen) and Ashliman (Germany)). 

Overall, I think I am very excited to read these tales over the next few months! I think I picked a good variety, but also some that will relate and interconnect with each other from different cultures/perspectives. As you can see from my selections, there is not a singular topic theme or theme that interests me. But I do enjoy learning more about things I am familiar with, as well as about things that are new to me.

I chose the below picture because it is the first picture from the first story I will be reading, plus I think it is a very cool illustration. 




No comments:

Post a Comment