Sunday, January 5, 2020

My Favorite Place: Bled, Slovenia

Bled, Slovenia: This summer I had the opportunity to solo travel around Europe for 45 days. One of my favorite places on this trip was Lake Bled in Slovenia. It was a great change of pace compared to all the cities I visited (although Kraków was awesome too!). The surrounding nature was what really made it my favorite place! The lake was beautiful and crystal clear (especially compared to Lake Thunderbird) plus it was surrounded by the Julian Alps. I also had a great experience at my hostel (Bled Hostel if you're interested in visiting), the owners were so kind, welcoming, and informative, in addition the food and drinks were cheap. The guests I met were wonderful too! Lake Bled is definitely one of my favorite places now!

Below are a couple photos I took while visiting!

The first one is a picture as the sun was setting my last night there.


(Photo by Ryan Cale, shot on iPhone)

The picture below shows you almost the entire lake from the vantage point of a hike I did up a hill. One afternoon I swam out to the island (it was exhausting!), there are a couple of churches on the island but I couldn't go inside because I was wet. 


(Photo by Ryan Cale, shot on iPhone)

The following photo was not taken by me. But I thought it was cool to see the lake during a different season. 



2 comments:

  1. YES to traveling Europe that way, Ryan! I did the same in summer of 1986... from Stockholm to Athens, from Paris to Istanbul; I went everywhere my magical Eurail pass would take me! These pictures are beautiful and I can guarantee you that in the hundreds (thousands?) of favorite-places posts that I have read for this class, Bled is a first! :-)
    Also, I was so excited to see that you went to Kraków! I was a Polish major in college, and it shows up in https://religiousreading.blogspot.com/2020/01/tucson-cracow-berkeley-my-favorite.html too (I'm doing the India class this semester).
    So, if you are interested in exploring Polish (West Slavic) or South Slavic folklore in this class, that could make a great topic, and there are lots of good online resources. For example, here's a lovely book online with a whole range of Slavic traditions included: Sixty Folktales from Slavonic Sources ... yay for Slavic stories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, Blogger gobbled that link in a weird way; trying again: Cracow in my blog post :-)

    ReplyDelete